Monday 23 March 2015

A Student Nurses Guide to Blogging

#HelloMyNameIs... Steph! 

Here is my little guide on Blogging... The basics... 

What is a blog?
A blog is an online space where a person can write in an informal manner about a topic or opinion on just about anything. People often use a blog to convey their thoughts and feelings and it can often be a personal piece of writing and sometimes used as a type of diary. 

The formal definition of a blog is:

A regularly updated website or web page typically one run by an individual or small group, that is written in an informal or conversational style. 
                                 Oxford dictionary

Popular types of blogs:
• Organisation or charity advertising
• Political views
• Food Blogs
• Craft Blogs
• Fashion Blogs
• Sport Blogs
• Personal Blogs
• News Blogs

How to blog:
1. Either choose a website to run your blog through or create a webpage. 

I personally prefer blogger.com as its free and very easy to use... But on the downside I technically do not own the rights to my blog as I don't own my own domain. 

2. Decide what you wish the topic of your blogs to be (If you have a specific genre) and choose an appropriate web address and title for your blog. 

My blogs are all nursing topics... For example I like to write about any nursing events I attend and my domain is just my name for formality as I like to cover many different nursing topics. 

3. Get to know your web hosts layout or design your own and become familiar with the styles and display settings.

Blogger.com make it easy as you can just click on the different displays and play around with the settings to create your desired look. 

4. Choose your first topic and begin... 

I find it easier to write as I would talk... It means there are no formalities and I find I get a more truthful piece of writing as I forget about the punctuation. I always proof read my work after to correct any spelling mistakes and add anything I feel ive missed. 

5. Once you are happy with your blog and have proof read and edited it it's time to create your layout and add any photos or images, headings and fonts. 

I love this bit as it lets me get creative with my writing and I always try to add photos and images to make it more exciting for the reader. 

6. Publish your blog.

It's easy peasy... Just click publish and you're good to go! 

How to get views:
Choose your desired audience and advertise through any networks or means you have available.

My desired audience is anyone in the healthcare field so I always put a link to anything I might want other students to read on my Facebook and Twitter and I usually find I get more shares which creates more views.

Enter competitions and get your blogs published:
In the nursing community there are many ways you can get your blogs into news letters and enter student competitions to spread your blog to a wider and larger audience. Don't be afraid to email anything you write to organisations such as 1000 lives as they love to support student nurses. 

I have previously had my blog link posted in the BCUHB Nursing News Letter after asking them to read a blog I had written on a nursing event. 

Keep updating your page with new blogs to keep interest:
It is often hard whilst studying to find time for anything other than what the degree requires you to do but, try to find time at least once a month to publish new blogs to keep interest and improve your blogging skills. 

Finally... Enjoy it! 
Get across your opinions and enjoy having a voice! 

#HelloMyNameIs... Steph 


No comments:

Post a Comment